BuBU made significant improvements to the gen8 boot menu, so we’ve decided to make a blog post.
Note that this is still work in progress so you should actually follow (and link to) the boot menu guide on the developer wiki.
Most notable recent improvements:
- new advanced menu which appear in OS selection (which lead to a new menu with debugging (serial stuff), recovery, reboot, disable rooted device, disable comcache)
- other important feature is check validity for /file.img if does not exists it shows a list of available *.img under storage and it magically fix the menu.lst with the selected entry
- fixed the touchscreen issue (under debian/other OSes)
- difference between standard and debug is that the menu for serial appears early in initramfs
- for both debug/standard you can switch serial… if you selected NONE initially.. u can go back in advanced menu > DEBUGGING to change to Ether or if u selected Ether you can got to same place to change to Both (or None or whatever)
- Booting off partitions including µSD card partitions
- IPv6 support in kernel
We plan to bring as many features as possible to the gen7 boot menu too in the near future so stay tuned.
Please report all problems on IRC and or to our issue tracker!
Here are the files for the impatient who know what they are doing: