We’ve worked hard for it and now openAOS Android Anoa, the first beta grade release is here!
We give you Android 2.3 Gingerbread for gen7 and gen8 hardware, based on Cyanogenmod 7.
The images can be found on our new download server in the release directory.
Please keep in mind that this is not a full replacement firmware it is a community created Android 2.3 adaptation in beta stage. It should work OK but there are still many things missing (e.g. media playback, USB storage). If you find something that is clearly broken then please check if it has been reported yet and if not then please create an issue. DivX118 also summed it up nicely in a forum post.
A list of things adressed in this release (not complete, compared to older preview images):
- fix browser crash
- workarround for wake up from deep sleep issue -> disabled deep sleep (increases power consumption though)
- fix for finding right sdcard device for vold
- both internal storage and SD card should be visible now
- new bookmarks (for archos scene)
- power menu was not easy to get on gen7
- new CM7 bookmark for G-apps (for more info see also our wiki on this topic)
- used latest CM7 code
- headphone switch (not complete yet)
- lot’s of other things…
Many thanks to all the people who have spent their precious free time on this release: BuBU, divx118, illifant, …
Why the release name Anoa? You may ask… Well we felt like bringing back easy to remember names so people know what they are running. Or would you rather try to remember: ‘the stable release of openaos android that came out for gen7 and gen8 and the images were the first ones built in week 33 of 2011 and is based on CM7′? Because that’s actually all encoded in the filename. Anoa it is then! But don’t get too used to it, the Bull is probably right around the corner…